With winter officially here and the Christmas spirit setting in, it’s easy to get caught in the rush and lose track of your skincare. With an array of products being presented to us, sometimes we can forget about the basics that our skin needs. This winter is all about simplicity and restoring all the goodness in our skin that we lose to the season. From tools of the trade to my favourite skincare hacks, this will be your ultimate guide to having skin as glowy as your Christmas decorations.
Scrub a dub dub.
The key to avoiding those scaly knees and grey elbows is to scrub at least twice a week. The importance of exfoliation is to remove dead and dry skin and prepare your skin for moisturisation.
Grainy scrubs work the best, you can choose suitable ones from most healthcare stores or make your own. My favourite is the Soap and Glory, Flake Away Salt Scrub, not only does this smell great, but a little goes a long way. If you fancy something all natural then here is a quick fix scrub that you can make in batches.
What you need:
- 25ml Olive Oil or melted Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsps. granulated sugar or salt
- A few drops of essential oil (optional)
Mix all the ingredients together and this can be stored in an airtight container in your shower. Use in circular motions, focusing on your joints.
Hydration and Moisturisation.
After regular scrubbing, maintaining moisture is a must. Your skin dries out very quickly in the winter and often goes flaky because of the lack of moisture. By moisturising you are restoring the natural oils that were removed by scrubbing. This can be done by using an oil, body butter or lotion and is best to apply after showering as the pores will be open and absorb more.
Here are my top three picks for Body Moisturisers this winter:
- Baby Oil. This is a cheap and cheerful moisturiser that can be used straight on the skin or mixed in with you bath while you soak up the moisture. This is best to be used before bed to avoid staining on your clothes.
- Coconut Body Butter, The Body Shop. The Body Shop offers different scents of body butter, but all provide great moisture for the skin and is perfect for after shaving. This a perfect
- Vaseline Spray & Go. This comes in three scents including Aloe Vera. Spray and Go provides a quick spray of moisture which is perfect for the mornings and quick getaway days.
Skincare hack: Alongside moisturising, try and drink at least two pints of water a day for the ultimate glow.
Tools of the trade
Alongside the products, there are a few told of the trade that are a must in everyone’s skincare collection all year round. J
- Loofah/ exfoliating mitt
This is a great team up with your favourite shower gel and is perfect if you need a more abrasive scrub (great for pre-tan and pre-shave prep). They’re a cheap and cheerful and a great way to keep your skin glowing.
- Cotton Pads
Cotton pads are a must in the skincare hamper. These are great to remove make up and generally cleanse the skin.
- Baby Oil http://www.boots.com/en/Johnsons-Baby-Oil-500ml_2090/
- Vaseline Spray & GO http://www.vaseline.co.uk/product/intensive-care/sprays/total-moisture-spray.html
- Coconut Body Butter https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-gb/range/view-all/shea-nourishing-body-butter
- Soap and Glory Flake Away http://www.soapandglory.com/flake-away